I've used the following devices together with success:
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AG923EU/: Alitove WS8211 neopixel strands that I've used with success Raspberry Pi and ESP8266.
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081CSJV2V/: ESP8266 I've used with the above light Alitove light strands and https://kno.wled.ge custom firmware for really simple awesome LEDs.
- https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED / https://kno.wled.ge: Custom microcontroller firmware for neopixel integration. This is by far the easiest way to do Neopixels.
- https://github.com/danielhoherd/stranger_things_lights: Stranger Things alphabet neopixel project for Raspberry Pi
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciaFar8nfHc: Custom 16 x 16 x 16 (4096) neopixel cube